models and photographer during victory patterns photo shoot

I’m so happy, excited, no, ECSTATIC to present to you the four newest Victory Patterns: Satsuki, Roxanne, Simone and Nicola.

Let me introduce these ladies…

Satsuki

line up of models wearing three versions from satsuki pattern

This pattern takes its inspiration from the kimono, and following the Japanese theme, she’s named after a character from one of my favorite Japanese films, My Neighbor Totoro! Have you seen it? This pattern comes with two main style variations and can be made into a dress and a blouse. I wanted to create a dress that was easy as pie to sew together for the novice and beginners out there. This style has a draped, easy fit with full sleeves and can be worn as a loose shift dress or sashed at the waist for a figure hugging look. It also features two main style variations with either a flounce front or peek-a-boo shoulders, and can be made into a dress or a blouse. I made myself one in black and it’s become a pretty reliable staple, let me tell you.

Simone

line up of models wearing two versions from Simone pattern

This is my kind of dress. Not too fitted, not too loose, just the right amount of bias to make it flow when you walk. A little bit of asymmetry, a racer back to tone down the girly-ness, a fancy front detail to turn it back up and make it special. Bam! This pattern can be made into a tank top, and there’s room to play around with contrast fabrics, or make it simply in a solid fabric. You can also add optional piping to add emphasis to the seams. I’ll be following up with tutorials soon on how to add some punch to this little number. Stay tuned.

Roxanne

line up of models wearing two versions from Roxanne pattern

As you can probably tell, I’m a dress person. My friends like to point out to me that I never wear pants. I was once on a London bus when one of those friends stated quit loudly “You never wear pants!” Seeing as in the UK pants means underwear, I received some mixed expressions. Just to clarify, this is not the kind of pants I’m referring to. I mean trouser pants! So, the reason is because I have a tricky time finding a blouse I love. For this pattern I wanted to create my ideal blouse, so here it is, with two style variations. Make it with sleeves, or without, with a simple tie neck closure or a pretty triple tiered collar (my fave). Hellooo pants, here I come!

And last but not least,

Nicola

line up of models wearing three versions from Nicola pattern

This is a classic silhouette featuring pretty petal details at the skirt and sleeves and it comes in two style variatons, a wrap dress and blouse with a tie waist sash. It’s surprisingly easy to sew, but let me tell you about what excites me most about this pattern.

While working on this line, I got into a little funk. I began to wonder what the purpose of all this hard work is for, and got frustrated at the thought that if I put this same effort into something humanitarian, I might stand to help someone in some way. Don’t get me wrong, I love what I do, and am thankful every day that I get to do it, but I have always struggled with finding the balance with the frivolity of fashion vs. many other meaningful issues.

When I think about the idea of one person making a difference, I sometimes feel cynical at the overwhelming task. So, I thought about people in my life that changed my world. One of the first people that I think of is my friend Nicola Loffler. Sadly, she is no longer with us, but when I remember her I begin to feel that it is possible for one person to make a profound difference. She once made a long list of amazing goals for her life, one of which was to inspire someone to make the world a better place, and another was to learn how to sew. She has accomplished her first goal a hundred times over, and her friends around the world continue to help her to cross the remaining items off her list. As for the second goal, she never had the chance to learn to sew, so as a little tribute to that goal, this pattern is named after her.

As for the first goal, in her name, $1 from each Nicola pattern sold will be donated to one of her favorite charities,“Peace One Day”. This organization believes that small actions can have a huge impact. They are working towards creating a global truce for one day; a day of cease-fire and non-violence. This day not only prevents violence and death in the most obvious ways, but also allows for safe for humanitarian aid in otherwise dangerous areas and has helped save millions of lives. This day shows us what a peaceful world could be like and the hope is that this will inspire and effect a greater, more permanent change!

To find out more about the endless amazing work by Peace One Day, watch this video and listen to this inspiring Ted Talk by the organization’s founder.

To make your own donation, follow this link. http://shop.peaceoneday.org/engine/shop/category/Donate

Thanks for reading, and I hope you like the patterns!

I will be adding the size charts to the pattern shop, but in the meantime you can view them here

1. Linda:
    Aug 10, 2012 at 01:25 PM

Beautiful collection! I love the mood you've set here and how the collection pieces all work together. Your descriptions make me laugh, cry, and want to sew my heart out!

2. Heather Lou:
    Aug 10, 2012 at 01:30 PM

THESE LOOK AMAZING! I can't wait to make one and/or all! In my opinion you have the best style/designs of any indie pattern company, which is why I don't think you should second guess your career direction. You have my dream job, and get to help make people's lives beautiful. You are actually contributing something o the world. Not many people can say the same. But lovely to hear about your efforts to honour your friend's legacy.

3. karyn:
    Aug 10, 2012 at 02:19 PM

I'm so excited to finally see your new patterns! They look incredible, as always. Need to decide on fabrics for each of these!

4. Carmen:
    Aug 10, 2012 at 02:38 PM

Oooh, I was so excited to see that you had new patterns up on Etsy! (You're in my favourites there.) I jumped over to this blog and so enjoyed reading about all the details of each of the new patterns. There are awesome details in these pieces that I never see in other clothing patterns (hello triple collar!). I also totally love the fabric choices in your samples. I have some serious decision making ahead of me!

5. joelle:
    Aug 10, 2012 at 05:19 PM

These patterns are simply fabulous! I wasn't expecting new patterns from you, and it just made my day!!

6. Wanett:
    Aug 10, 2012 at 08:01 PM

These are so awesome!! I love how you've styled them, too!

7. kate:
    Aug 10, 2012 at 08:57 PM

I just purchased ROXANNE through etsy! These are so beautiful and I love the simplicity of the designs! Great new patterns!

8. Cirque Du Bebe :
    Aug 10, 2012 at 09:16 PM

Holy Sh$#balls! You have outdone yourself this time. These are the most gorgeous, current, on trend patterns I have seen to date.

9. Lisa:
    Aug 10, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Awesome! Congrats on these four new patterns--they look AMAZING!

10. kelli:
    Aug 11, 2012 at 12:07 AM

so excited about these!

11. Maddie:
    Aug 11, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Wow! wow! wow! All of these look so amazing. The shapes and silhouettes are unique and tres, tres chic. What I love most though is that you're giving back. That is the most important thing anyone can do - in life, in business, in friendship. That's what keeps us humble and human!

12. me:
    Aug 11, 2012 at 04:40 AM

I agree with Heather Lou, I think out of all the indie designers, you stood out ... not only because of your obvious talent, but mostly because of "you" ...
    From each comments, emails you wrote when I bought the first 6 collections, and reading this entry, I can honestly say, maybe it seems far fetched one person to be able to make a difference in the world, BUT you certainly have touched my heart with your humble, down-to-earth and kindness ...
    I KNOW you'll be huge soon ... but don't ever change, it just means that you'll be able to touch so many other people's lives ... and I hope you always do PDFs patterns :P
    I know I might be a minority, but I *love* pdfs, that way I don't have to trace, and can re-print IF needed and no flimsy huge as a house tissue paper ...

I've been checking your blog and twitter, facebook, etsy (talk about stalking lol) for the new collections, and WOW ... *speechless*
    I'm off to buy the whole collections lol ... :P

Thank you, for the great patterns, AND most of all, *thank you* for reminding me, that no matter what we do, where we are in life, there's *always* a chance and the possibility to make a difference in the world ...

Have a superb blessed weekend Kristiann, sorry this is as long as a novel :S

13. Ginger:
    Aug 11, 2012 at 04:16 PM

These are absolutely stunning! I LOVE them! You've really outdone yourself! I love that you're making donations in honor of Nicola. She sounds like she was a great friend. :)

14. Juliet:
    Aug 12, 2012 at 12:08 AM

LOVE the Nicola patter, not just for the style but for it's wonderful story. What an inspiration, come payday that pattern shall be added to my collection :)

15. Sandy Loffler:
    Aug 12, 2012 at 10:38 AM

I'm Sandy, Nicola's Mum. I am so very touched that you've used your amazing talent, Kristiann, to remember Nicola in such a beautiful way. She always admired your creativity and design flair and loved her times spent with you. She'd be soo very touched that you've generously promoted Peace One Day, something the whole world would benefit from.

Ginger and Juliet - thank you too for your beautiful comments.

I miss my precious daughter so much - and you've all warmed my heavy heart and made me smile.

16. Crystal:
    Aug 13, 2012 at 07:39 AM

The more I study these the more interested in them I become. I really like your unique details, especially this time around on the Simone and Roxanne. Also love the tulip look of the wrap and sleeve on the Nicola. As soon as I am able, I will probably snap these three up.

17. Tine:
    Aug 14, 2012 at 07:55 AM

I've never purchased a pattern of you before, but I think the Roxanne will be on my shopping list.

18. Forrest:
    Aug 14, 2012 at 02:53 PM

Love these patterns! I immediately had to post on my blog about them becuase their so great! The Nicola will be on my cutting table soon!

19. MF:
    Aug 21, 2012 at 04:36 PM

Wow! These are the most on-trend patterns I have ever seen! What I love most about them is that your design point of view is so clear - they look like clothing that would be in the stores, but instead you are making them available as patterns for us to sew :)

20. lsaspacey:
    Aug 30, 2012 at 01:25 PM

Wow, lovely. As to your size charts, I really appreciate your measurements for shoulder width, since I have narrow shoulders. Thank you.

21. Kristiann:
    Oct 01, 2012 at 05:55 PM

Thank you to everyone for leaving such LOVELY comments! I know this response is way delayed, but I'm so delighted at your kind words and I'm thrilled that you like the new patterns. We've had some tech setback on the back end, so appologies for not commenting back indiviualy. You're enthusiasm and encouragment is so inspiring. I love that these patterns help me to connect with such awseome ladies! Also, I most definitely acknowledge that this is a pretty great job. I'm so happy to do this every day and I hope to keep doing it for a long time. Thank you also for the kind words about Nic, she was truly the best and I'm so happy that a little part of what I do is for her. If you ended up buying one of the patterns, I hope you've enjoyed working with it and wearing it! Lots of love xox