transfer labels sewn into garment

Add an extra touch of class to your hand made item by making your own clothing labels! Making tags is quick and easy, all you need is a photocopy version of your own logo, name or artwork, and a few supplies. Make sure that your artwork or text is in mirror image to the original format. If you've made one of our patterns and would like to make it look extra professional, you can print ourĀ labels.

These tags use a chemical called xylene from blender markers to dissolve photocopy toner onto fabric. When the toner is transferred onto natural fibre, it creates a wash-fast transfer. You can expand on this idea and transfer images to clothing!

List of supplies needed for transfer label project

Materials List

• Photocopy of logo or your name in mirror image
  • 100% Cotton fabric or 1" twill tape
  • Xylene blender marker from your art store
  • Scotch tape
  • Thread

Paper labels for transfer label tags

• Cut your paper tags from the downloadable sheet

Taping the cloth down preparing for transferring

• Tape down your fabric or twill tape. Place your paper tag face down so the writing faces the fabric. Make sure to position it so it is centered.

Blender marker transferring toner to labels

• Now comes the fun part! Take the xylene marker and using pressure, colour in all over the back of the tag. Keep on using pressure until you have transferred the toner. Use in a well ventilated area.

Removing paper from label

• Carefully peel away one side of the paper. Check to see if you have made a good transfer. If the image is still faint, tape it back down and reapply the marker.

Results for transferring on cloth and twill tape

• Now pull up the paper. The fabric will be wet withxylene, just let it evaporate

How to prepare the tag for sewing

• To make your fabric into a tag press the top and bottom edges of your tag. Topstitch the edges.Now fold and press the sides. Pin the tag onto your garment and sew along the pressed edge.

Final labels sewn into garments

• Voila! Custom made clothing labels!

1. Lizz:
    May 09, 2012 at 03:27 PM

Thanks for the tutorial! This is so neat and easy!

2. Ginger:
    May 09, 2012 at 03:37 PM

Super cool! Thanks!

3. anabela:
    May 09, 2012 at 03:58 PM

This is really cool!

4. Suzanne H.:
    May 09, 2012 at 04:14 PM

Thanks! I have to get crafting now! I think I could use this for kids tees! :)

1. kristiann:
      May 10, 2012 at 12:39 AM

oh yeah! It would be great on t-shirts. I have some illustrations i've been wanting to transfer for a while. Let me know how it goes.

5. Miss Crayola Creepy:
    May 09, 2012 at 04:55 PM

I want to do this! Thank you!

1. kristiann:
      May 10, 2012 at 12:38 AM

You're so welcome! You should try it, it's fun!

6. :
    May 09, 2012 at 05:33 PM

What a fabulous and easy way to do it!

7. Kase:
    May 09, 2012 at 07:04 PM

I was just thinking about this the other day! However, I cannot find this Xylene blender marker in Melbourne, Australia. Google has failed me at the moment. :(

1. kristiann:
      May 10, 2012 at 12:32 AM

There's an art store here that does online sales, you can probably get it from them... https://www.abovegroundartsupplies.com/sagro/storefront/store.php?mode=showproductdetail&product=10087

2. Candace:
      May 12, 2012 at 02:22 AM

Have you tried searching for Chartpak AD Markers? Chartpak is the brand and the particular one that does this is just called a "Blender" They are widely available at art supply stores like Utrect and DickBlick in the US and while I've never used them on fabric we used them all the time in bookmaking to transfer images onto paper, worked like a charm!

8. carolanne graham:
    May 10, 2012 at 11:56 AM

bravo!!

9. Paige @ Luxperdiem:
    May 11, 2012 at 09:03 AM

I just posted a similar tutorial for clothing labels on my blog as well, only a different technique! I didn't know you could transfer to fabric with those markers! http://mylife.luxperdiem.com/2012/05/diy-clothing-label-tutorial.html

10. Biblioto:
    May 11, 2012 at 09:51 AM

This is soooo tempting to try, but I'm sorry to have to report that xylene is a toxic chemical: http://www.epa.gov/ttnatw01/hlthef/xylenes.html Sorry to be the party pooper, but I thought you should know...

1. kristiann:
      May 11, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Hi, Thanks for pointing this out. I'll make sure to update the post and point out that this should be used in a well ventilated area, as recommended by the producer of the marker. Luckily, the chemical is not being ingested and does not have direct contact with the skin for absorption. I do a lot of work with toxic dye, and find that working outside, and with a vapor mask is always a safe bet. But if you're really avoiding toxic chemicals at all costs, then you can use 8.5 x 11 freezer paper, and a lightweight piece of organdy, batiste or cotton the same size as the paper, and press the fabric to the plastic side of the freezer paper. Insert the fabric/ paper sheet into the single feed paper tray, fabric side up. You'll copy directly onto the fabric and end up with a really crisp transfer, without the marker.

11. Allison Evans:
    May 11, 2012 at 10:22 AM

How permanent is this type of transfer, in other words, is it washable?

1. kristiann:
      May 11, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Hi Allison, this toner will stand up to the wash.Just make sure you use a natural fiber fabric

12. Ryan Patterson:
    May 11, 2012 at 04:43 PM

You can also use citri-sol - it's a cleanser sold in many "natural" markets. I think acetone works as well. They are totally washable. The first wash may fade the image, but there's no fading after that.

13. Amanda Russell:
    May 11, 2012 at 05:43 PM

that is SOOO COOL!!!! :D

14. Stitching Spotlights 5.11.2012:
    May 13, 2012 at 11:11 PM

[...] make your own sew in labels? Do. Not. Miss. this fabulous tutorial from Victory Patterns! I was so thrilled I nearly fell off my chair with delight from reading about [...]

15. Maycie After Five:
    Jun 22, 2012 at 11:49 AM

So cool! Will definitely try this. I've tried other methods, but this looks like to be the best. Thanks.

1. kristiann:
      Jun 24, 2012 at 12:59 PM

I'm glad you find it useful. Have fun with it!

16. This Week: Birthday cheer | Coletterie:
    Jul 13, 2012 at 07:11 AM

[...] Add a personal flair to any project with your own DIY, sew-in garment labels. [...]

17. Xylene toner | Deepwise:
    Aug 01, 2012 at 02:53 AM

[...] DIY: Transfer Clothing Labels – Victory PatternsMay 9, 2012 … These tags use a chemical called xylene from blender markers to dissolve photocopy toner onto fabric. When the toner is transferred onto … Uncategorized Comments are closed. [...]

18. Make Your Own Sewing Supplies ::
    Aug 02, 2012 at 03:38 AM

[...] DIY: Transfter Cloth Labels [...]

19. goldenfabtex:
    Dec 24, 2013 at 10:49 AM

The woven labels are playing a vital role in conferring a bran recognition to the business organization. The woven labels also enhance the ambiance of the clothes in the best ever manner. Computerised woven labels manufacturers

20. William Christian:
    May 24, 2014 at 05:34 AM

Clothing labels can be used in a variety of ways and remains the easiest and most inexpensive way of personalizing clothes.

21. G Rachelle NTI Data:
    Mar 16, 2015 at 02:47 PM

Good job! You definitely made an awesome tutorial for this personalized clothing label. I really like the final output of this project. Keep it up! By the way, you truly inspire not just me, but all of your readers out there.

22. layla:
    Apr 16, 2015 at 05:20 AM

But when you put it in washing machine will the text go away?

Aug 09, 2015 at 07:30 PM

Hi Layla,
      The transfer will be permanent as long as you are using a 100% natural fibre material. I've washed my labels countless times, and while there is some fading over time, it's still holding up well.

23. Don@Mpressive:
    Jun 16, 2015 at 04:38 AM

Its great idea to make handmade labels and thanks for sharing your idea with us.

24. Jeannie myers: