<< Update:  If you experienced trouble purchasing Hannah this morning, we had a little issue with our shop, but we’re back now and she’s ready for you >>

If you had any idea how long this pattern has been in the works, you’d be very happy for me today! This pattern has been on a bit of a journey with me and has taught me a LOT! In the early days of her conception, this poor girl, along with my computer, was hijacked by a car washer named Dan, she’s been re-drafted, re-written and made into more muslin’s than I’d care to say. She’s waited patiently while I tended to writing a book, she’s trekked to Australia and back, twice. After all of this, I’ve wanted to give up on her a few times, but I just couldn’t because, well, I’m stubborn and I just really love her! She’s taught me patience, perfectionism and the importance of simplicity.

Hannah is named after my sister’s childhood best friend in Scotland. After we moved far away, they always kept in touch. Many homes, friends, years later, Hannah has always been a constant in our lives. This a special and rare thing for someone that moves a lot, so needless to say, she’s very special to us. So, for our friend who’s been there since almost as long as I can remember, kinda like this pattern, this one’s is for you!

Ok, enough mushy mush, let’s get down to details...

This pattern is about simple shapes and geometry. I wanted to step away from the vintage aesthetic for a moment because I was craving something different. I wanted to make something a bit more minimal and clean and something that I could easily slip on and feel put together. My favorite thing about her is that she’s a little business in the front, party at the back.

HANNAH is a sleeveless dress with a subtle A-line shift silhouette. It features angled side seams and front pockets, which transition cleverly into folding side-panels that wrap around to the back and criss-cross over each other. The hemline, with its upward curve at the sides and a subtle dip in the back, takes its inspiration from men’s shirting, A high neckline is edged with a double fold binding. The button up front is concealed with a hidden button placket for a minimal touch.

Version 1 makes a minimal dress with one common fabric throughout. Version 2 allows you to color block by contrasting the side panels, button placket and neck binding, thereby framing the dress and playing up the geometric shapes.

The cross over back which transitions into side panels and lead into pockets at  the front of the dress.

For a minimal look, a hidden button placket conceals the button up front. The high neckline is finished with a double bias binding.

The curved hemline takes its inspiration from men's shirting and creates a great contrast to the straight edge, angled side seams.

Learn something new:

This dress boasts a handful of details that you’ll have fun sewing. Designed for an intermediate level, this pattern will teach you the how to:

• Work with bias edges
• Master a hidden button placket
• Finish a curved hemline with facing
• Finish a neckline with double fold bias binding
• Face an armhole with a single bias facing

There’s lot of love put into this little lady and I hope you enjoy her. Hannah is available in the shop as a PDF pattern now!

1. Sonja:
    Apr 14, 2016 at 10:02 AM

Kristiann, what a perfect dress! I seriously can't wait to sew one up!

Apr 14, 2016 at 09:26 PM

Thanks so much, sweety! I can't wait to see yours, I think you'll look so chic in it!

2. Jamie:
    Apr 14, 2016 at 10:07 AM

I LOVE it!!! There are so many pattern companies selling boring basics, I'm glad I always trust you guys to bring something unique.

3. Jain:
    Apr 14, 2016 at 11:17 AM

Finally one exciting pattern release, good work!

4. Isabelle:
    Apr 14, 2016 at 01:05 PM

Wow, this is such a great pattern!!!! Different, cool, it has everything I love. Question : would it be ok for larger hips and a curvy body though?

Apr 17, 2016 at 05:07 PM

Thanks so much, Isabelle! I'd say if you've felt comfortable in the past wearing a shift silhouette, then the shape of Hannah should work for you. I'm about two - three sizes large on my hips than my upper body and I'm very comfortable in it. There's a slight A-line to accommodate for curves, but go with your gut! The next pattern I release will be very curve friendly ;)

5. Tracy K.:
    Apr 14, 2016 at 02:43 PM

*LOVE* this new dress - it's so minimalist and chic yet it's got enough unique details to set itself apart from every other A-line / shift dress out in the market.

Question: would you be able to cover how to do a FBA/SBA for this dress?

1. Jana:
      Apr 16, 2016 at 12:22 PM

I agree, SBA instructions (and FBA for those who need that, of course) would be awesome! Also, some help on how to grade between sizes, maybe? I’m three different sizes for bust/waist/hips and I’m a little confused about how to deal with the weird-shaped pattern pieces. I’m just going to make a first toile by choosing the appropriate size for my bust and hoping for the best, since the dress is loose-fitting around the waist and hips anyway, but I would really like to try and make the pattern “properly” as well! (:

Apr 17, 2016 at 05:21 PM

Hey Tracy and Jana,
        I'll be writing tutorials for SBA/FBA and grading between the sizes. Thanks for the nudge. Jana, while waiting for the post, you can definitely start by basing your size on your bust measurement. Just take a look at the finished measurements for the hips and determine if there's enough wearing ease for you. Thanks for your patience while I get that together :)

1. Tracy K:
          Apr 19, 2016 at 12:24 AM

Thanks Kristiann!!! Looking forward to sewing up this beauty for the spring/summer season!!

6. Sue:
    Apr 14, 2016 at 03:14 PM

This dress is so interesting - THANK YOU! I love that it's intended to be simple to wear but isn't just a basic shift.

7. crystalpleats:
    Apr 14, 2016 at 03:35 PM

I've had my credit card ready since the sneak peek yesterday! Whether you go vintage with details or minimal with geometric you always bring something unique and interesting. I hope you are producing patterns for years to come. Congratulations on another beautiful release! I hope you sell lots!

Apr 17, 2016 at 05:12 PM

Thanks for the lovely compliments and support, Crystal!

8. Sandy:
    Apr 14, 2016 at 09:25 PM

You did it!! So lovely to see it 'in the flesh' after its many trips around and back.

9. Elaine:
    Apr 18, 2016 at 11:36 AM

Has anyone that you are aware of tried a full bust adjustment on this dress? I see a single dart coming from the armhole. This is such a cool and unusual design that I think could be adapted to my D cup bustline but I thought I should ask you first before ordering. Thanks

1. Kristiann:
      May 02, 2016 at 10:59 AM

Hi Elaine,
      I've posted a tutorial on how to do a FBA for this pattern. I hope that helps you out :)

10. Connie Turner:
    Apr 18, 2016 at 01:01 PM

This dress is so interesting and different. Congratulations on a wonderful new design.

11. Kira:
    Apr 20, 2016 at 12:10 AM

I love this pattern. What a beautiful silhouette! What fabric is the print?

Apr 28, 2016 at 03:43 PM

Thanks Kira! The print is a checkered silk that I found at a Toronto fabric store. In case you're local, it's World Sew. The contrast is a forest green silk that coordinates perfectly with it :)

12. shelley:
    Apr 21, 2016 at 03:40 PM

I'm very intrigued with your Hannah. Do you plan to add a sleeve piece add on? Will have to draft my own until you do.

Apr 28, 2016 at 03:44 PM

Hi Shelley,
      I've had so many requests to make a sleeve for this pattern, so I think it's going to have to happen :) I can't promise a date at the moment, but it's on my to do list.

1. Liz:
        Feb 08, 2017 at 11:44 AM

hey Kristiann! Did you ever end up releasing a sleeve for Hannah? I couldn't find any sleeved versions online and I was hoping you might have some tips on how to draft one.

13. shannon:
    May 12, 2016 at 09:53 PM

Hi Kristiann! I was just curious what type of fabric the grey dress is made with. Thanks! :)

May 13, 2016 at 09:55 AM

Hi Shannon,
      I'm not sure exactly what the fiber content is, but as far as I can tell it's some sort of wool-poly blend. In appearance, it looks very similar to a chambray, but has a heavier, more stable body. If you happen to be local to Toronto, it's from King Textiles.

14. Siobhan:
    Jun 01, 2016 at 07:03 AM

I love this dress! I finished it a few days ago and it's already getting lots of wear :-)

15. Jenny:
    Dec 14, 2016 at 02:04 PM

Hey, Kristiann! It's Jennifer Sandoval, your ever-annoying bug in your ear ;-).

Ok, so I waited until Hannah came out on print, but I cannot wait anymore because it's too beautiful.

I'd love to know all the fabrics you've used in your samples because they're lovely. Please no wool, please no wool. I'm allergic, but can use it in coats & jackets if it doesn't touch. Anyways, I'd especially love to know where you got the pink plaid. Though I love ALL the samples, I'm not a neutral-color type of gal (if they all come in different colors, let a sista know!)

16. Jenny:
    Dec 14, 2016 at 04:58 PM

Kristiann, me again. I've got a concern and I've yet to muslin. I mean, when sewing to fit a garment, it's easier to go from large to small than vice versa.

So, I think I've told you, I've got broad shoulders. I'm stick-thin, but with wide set shoulders and yes, it looks weird.

Does Hannah have enough ease in the shoulders/upper back area? Because I've no idea how to do broad back adjustment on this lovely piece of origami. I'm seriously thinking of using a firm knit and interfacing/stabilizing the heck out of the seams!

Jan 03, 2017 at 09:23 PM

Hi Jennifer,
      Not annoying at all! I do apologize for the delay. I’ve had to take some time off as we’ve had a huge move right before the holidays and I’m now catching up.

The fabrics from the samples are from local fabric stores in Toronto. Unfortunately they don’t sell online. I don’t believe you are local, but in case you are the blue fabric is a mixed fiber from King Textiles on Spadina. It’s not wool, but they couldn’t tell me what it is. As far as I can tell, it has some polyester in it. It’s in the section where the dressy fabrics are. The green and pink plaid and solid coordinating green are silk fabrics from World Sewing Center at 511 Queen St W.

As for your concern with the muslin, the ease in the back/shoulder area is on the side of minimal to just roomy enough. If you’re concerned about the fit, try doing a muslin just for the upper portion of the dress. You can leave out the side panels and front placket for this and just test the front and back pieces for fit. If you find it tight, reach out through email and we can figure it out.